- Our Mission
Taste of Redland aims to further connect the agricultural community of Redland with South Florida consumers and build momentum in the Miami Locavore Movement, with the hope that everyone can experience the taste of fresh Redland-Raised fruits and vegetables as if they picked it themselves. We believe that Redland is the heart of Miami-Dade County and wish to contribute to this thriving community and build on what so many have done to make Redland the gem that it is today.
The Taste of Redland initiative has two components. The first is to introduce Redland-Raised produce from local farms directly into homes and restaurants in South Florida, with free next-day delivery. We ship a variety of locally-grown fresh-picked fruits, vegetables, herbs, leaves and edible flowers as they come into season.
The second component is to invite South Floridians to visit the Redland area. The 2018/2019 Taste of Redland Dinner & Brunch Series enjoyed sold-out events, where we introduced our guests to spectacular venues, farms and private properties to further our goal of educating the public of all that is grown in Redland. The series included top chefs at exciting venues throughout the region who incorporated seasonal Redland-Raised produce in their menus. Please email if you’re interested in receiving additional information about our events at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We believe we should all support and take pride in our favorite Redland-Raised produce, just as we support our favorite sports teams like the Miami Dolphins and Heat. Next time you’re eating a mango or lychee, ask and make sure it’s Redland-Raised!
ARE YOU A LOCAVORE???
HELP TASTE OF REDLAND GET THE WORD OUT...I WANT TO BE A LOCAVORE !!!
MERRIAM WEBSTER DEFINITION OF LOCAVORE:
ONE WHO EATS FOODS GROWN LOCALLY WHENEVER POSSIBLE
TAKE THE TASTE OF REDLAND CHALLENGE AND JOIN THE MIAMI LOCAVORE MOVEMENT.
IT'S EASY, ON THE HONOR SYSTEM, JUST COMMIT TO SPENDING $50 PER MONTH WHEREVER YOU CHOOSE, WITH ANYONE YOU CHOOSE ON LOCALLY GROWN FOODS.
IN 2018 FLORIDA WAS #47 OUT OF 52 IN THE NATIONAL LOCAVORE INDEX, IN 2019 WE BECAME #31. LET'S BECOME #1!
Strolling of the Heifers’ 10 reasons to consume more local foods:
- Supports local farms: Buying local food keeps local farms healthy and creates local jobs at farms and in local food processing and distribution systems.
- Boosts local economy: Food dollars spent at local farms and food producers stay in the local economy, creating more jobs at other local businesses.
- Less travel: Local food travels much less distance to market than typical fresh or processed grocery store foods, therefore using less fuel and generating less greenhouse gases.
- Less waste: Because of the shorter distribution chains for local foods, less food is wasted in distribution, warehousing and merchandising.
- More freshness: Local food is fresher, healthier and tastes better, because it spends less time in transit from farm to plate, and therefore loses fewer nutrients and incurs less spoilage.
- New and better flavors in each season: When you commit to buy more local food, you’ll discover interesting new foods, tasty new ways to prepare food, and a new appreciation of the pleasure of each season’s foods.
- Good for the gene pool and the soil: Local food encourages diversification of local agriculture which preserves genetic diversity and reduces the reliance on monoculture — single crops grown over a wide area to the detriment of soils.
- Attracts tourists: Local foods promote agritourism — farmers markets and opportunities to visit farms and local food producers help draw tourists to a region.
- Preserves open space: Buying local food helps local farms survive and thrive, keeping land from being redeveloped into suburban sprawl.
- Builds more connected communities: Local foods create more vibrant communities by connecting people with the farmers and food producers who bring them healthy local foods. As customers of CSAs and farmers markets have discovered, they are great places to meet and connect with friends as well as farmers!